The Finishing Manager is responsible for overseeing and leading the Finishing Department, ensuring the timely production of high-quality products that meet or exceed customer expectations. The manager proactively manages departmental metrics, such as downtime, make-readies, run speed, and waste, to control costs and promote efficiency. The Finishing Manager ensures compliance with all company policies and procedures, fosters a team atmosphere, and supports the company's core processes.
- Analyze work orders and work pieces to determine the process, materials, machines, and sequence of operation.
- Assign tasks to workers and coordinate workflow to meet production schedules.
- Ensure necessary stock is available and staged in accordance with the workflow schedule.
- Coordinate with scheduling daily to determine workload and production performance expectations.
- Inspect finished pieces visually and using precision measuring devices.
- Collaborate with Quality Control to monitor output and assess/grade projects for standard deviations and imperfections.
- Maintain time and production records.
- Investigate machine and equipment malfunctions and determine the need for repair and maintenance.
- Ensure employees are following safety regulations.
- Keep informed of new products and developments within the department.
- Ensure staffing is appropriate to meet workload requirements and productivity standards.
- Strong ability to foster teamwork and motivate individual performers.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact effectively with others at all levels of the organization.
- Strong technical knowledge of converting and finishing operations.
- 5 years supervisory/management experience in the folding paperboard carton industry
- Preferred hands-on experience with straight line gluing equipment such as Bobst Alpina, International 6FX and others.
- Knowledge of carton styles including straight-line, lock-bottom, multifold, 6-corner, 4-corner, Z-fold, and double sidewall standard set-up times and run speeds to produce high quality products.
- High school diploma / GED preferred.