Responsibilities include: equipment set-up and troubleshooting, adjusting processes to optimize cost, material and line efficiencies.
- Utilize the job jacket order form or other written and oral instructions, set up, operate, continuously monitor, and adjust as necessary all machines, including scanners and electrical glue units.
- Be able to set up different style cartons: straight-line, lock-bottom, -multifolds, 6-corner, 4-corner, Z-fold, double sidewall, at agreed upon standard set-up times and run speeds to produce high quality products
- Perform routine/preventive maintenance on all equipment except where Maintenance Department work is required.
- Monitor the quality of folding cartons during operation and make adjustments as necessary to achieve and maintain job output and quality specifications set by the customer and the Company.
- Be able to direct finishers in all packing and feeding operations which means that a Class “A” Operator must be able to perform the packing and feeding operation as is necessary for the safe and efficient operation of the crew
- Perform pre-make-ready activities before current job is completed or whenever possible.
- Should be able to operate and maintain schedule without supervision
- Should be able to troubleshoot all defects by looking at the carton
- Should know capabilities and limitations of each machine.
- Obtain appropriate corrugated cases (quality and size, liners, dividers, panels, labels, adhesives, etc.) and incorporate any other special finishing requirements.
- Position requires timely and effective communication with co-workers, Q.C., and management.
- Class “A” Operator exhibits outstanding performance in the areas of judgment, productivity, quality, housekeeping, safety and attendance.
- Advise supervisor in a timely manner when to order supplies such as corrugated boxes, glue, belts, tape, hooks, etc. as these become necessary to the operation.
- Recommend changes and modifications to the supervisor which may improve the unit’s operation, reduce costs, and/or make the carton easier to manufacture
- Comply with all departmental rules and regulation
- Perform other duties as required to achieve the overall goals and objectives of the section, department, and the Company.
- Must have the ability to work independently and in a team
- Problem solve and effectively relay issues to management
- Ability to read job orders and specifications
- 3-5 years related machine experience in a production environment
- Experience with setting up and operating large, sophisticated folding carton gluing equipment